A few weeks ago, I wrote a post that included an idea that I had for a “tube shaped” scarf. I was going to find a hat pattern and then use it to create a scarf instead.
Well… my experiment didn’t go exactly as planned. But not in a funny “Pinterest fail” kind of way. Just in a boring, “um… nope” kind of way.
First of all, it was too big. It made more sense as a cowl, and I briefly considered going that way.
But that wasn’t what I had in mind in the first place.
Second, it was taking too long. That is actually still part of the first point – I made it too big so it was taking forever to make any progress.
Third, I just didn’t like the way it was coming together. This isn’t really a stand alone point, but I created a second point and I learned in high school that arguments have to come in threes.
I had a couple of ideas. Maybe I just needed to find a child’s hat. Or better yet, a sleeve! So I went back to the drawing board to find a pattern that would work and discovered that I hadn’t invented the tube scarf. There are tons of patterns online.
I was sad about this for a few seconds because I really thought I had an original thought, but that quickly passed and turned to relief that I don’t have to invent a pattern. It exists! That simplifies everything!
I am going to try out this pattern next. There are no cables as I had originally envisioned but this simple pattern is so elegant, and I think it will work beautifully with the light-weight yarn I’m using.
Oooooh so pretty. I’m not actually sure I can knit that evenly. My stitch size tends to vary with my mood. And sobriety.
Maybe it’s a good challenge for me: simple done well.
Wish me luck!
I look forward to the results….